Primary Library Class - Y3 Heritage
Class #1
Y3s are investigating heritage - local, personal, global - in their current UOI Who We Are. I approached this in a few different ways.
Firstly, I told them about the issues over heritage building and the need to preserve them from my own perspective in Vancouver. Currently there is a much public concern regarding overseas buyers demolishing older homes, but functional and structurally sound homes.
We looked at the Disappearing Dunbar blog that documents photos of homes being demolished and being replaced by new homes, such as the one Alma Street 5686. We discussed why this is happening, if it right or wrong and it's effects on the environment.
Then I showed them a video that was the complete opposite whereby an overseas buyer was investing heavily in a heritage house under the guidance of the city.
Video from the National
These two opposing viewpoint made for much discussion among students about the meaning of heritage for the past and present, and why it is important.
Class #2
For my second class with them, I read the Singapore fairy tale version of Hansel and Gretel, entitled Hansel and Girl Girl. This local version of the Grimm story by Adrian Pang takes place at the famous Red House at 75 East Coast Road, Singapore.
Image from Epigram Books
Afterwards, I asked students if any of them knew if this red house existed or not, then showed them the article on The Red House from the Singapore Slider site and we reviewed its past together.
Image from Singapore Sliders

