Monday, 22 May 2017

AFCC 2017: Asian Festival of Children's Content

The Asian Festival of Children's Content (AFCC)is an annual celebrations of children's books for all those interested in this genre. There are sessions for everyone and it is organised by the National Book Development Council of Singapore (NBDCS).  Every year, there is a country of focus and this year it was Indonesia.



Image taken from afcc.com.sg




There were a variety of session, both ticketed and free, for parents, teachers, authors, illustrators.   There were a variety panel discussions and sessions on from speakers around the world.  

Image taken from afcc.com.sg





Here's a video I did of some of the sessions that were sketchnoted and displayed in the Creation Corner of the National Library Board at Victoria St.   This video gives some good highlights and captures the ethos of creativity and mindfulness of AFCC. 





From the workshops I attended, the recurring theme of books as invaluable tools of social emotional learning (SEL) was evident, more so in a world that is globalised yet volatile and divisive culturally and politically.  I also had the privilege of hearing Professor Keisuke Fukaya, the founder of the "dictionary bookmarking" method of study where students search for words in their own dictionary and build their vocabulary, confidence and independent learning.  What really appealed to me about his method was the no-tech approach and how engaged kids become. I can't wait to try this out as a CCA next year. 






A humble librarian with the Great Dictionary Man, Professor Fukaya


I also gave a session called A Mammoth Task: Encouraging Reading in the Digital Age. This was attended by parents, teachers and heads of school.   




Here is a Padlet of the resources I referred to in my talk, and a selfie (or is that wefie?) of myself and the participants. 






It was three full days of fun and knowledge from speakers around the world, all stakeholders in children's books.  My head is filled with knowledge and my heart with inspiration.  I'll be back for AFCC 2018 - most definitely.