As our students are so diverse, and food is an important role in any culture, I was inspired to do a collage of the students in each class and what their families eat regularly. More so since families that eat together have been linked to many advantages, such as better grades, better health, and less fussier eaters. I gave examples from the book, What the World Eats. Since we have 3 copies of the book in the our library, I gave one to each class as an example of what families around the world eat.
Image taken from Amazon.com.
A few years ago, Time did a slideshow of 28 families from this book with photographs of the families and what they ate in a typical month and how much it costs. I chose a few photos from different families from around the world to give students an idea of the variety of foods and diets that families from around the world live on. Since I projected this slide show on the screen, I pointed to certain foods and had students identify what foods they recognised.
Image taken from Time.com
After I showed them a photo of what I usually eat for breakfast (on the weekends) and had them identify the foods I eat.
Originally I had planned to have the student take photos of them with their families at the meal, but was told by the teacher that this would be too difficult to coordinate with parents. So with a change of plans we decided to have students write and draw what they usually eat and made it into a collage where students linked where they came from.

