Thursday, 27 October 2016

Y4 How We Organize Ourselves



As the Y4s finish off their unit of inquiry (UOI) on managing money, goods and services,  I read them Ella Earns Her Own Money.

Image taken from Amazon.com

Before reading the story, I asked the students the following:
  • What is an allowance?
  • What is a chore?
  • Is it a good or bad thing to children to do things?  What does this teach children?
  • Why is it important to earn your money and to save it?
  • How does this story connect to the current UOI?
After reading the story, I asked the students 
  • if they thought that separating money into 3 jars - Save, Share, Spend - like Ella did, was a good way to manage money? Why or why not?


Image taken from getepic.com


After discussing if the jar method was effective, I also students if they thought adults would use this system to manage their money.  

We also linked this jar method of budgeting money to an article from the Guardian,  Are millennials actually bad at saving or are houses just unaffordable?  When adults save for a new home, it's not so different than when Ella was saving for a new soccer ball with the jars. They also have to earn money and decide if they want to save for a house faster or spend it on things they want now (eg avocado sandwich) and wait longer.



Image taken from the Guardian.com




Images taken from the Guardian.com